I love listening to music. This is not a secret. I openly admit my addiction to fabulous instrumentation and soulful lyrics to everyone. I am constantly seeking new tunes to move me, while rediscovering old ones that still get my heart pumping and my feet dancing. I honestly have it playing all the time. (I'm, admittedly, listening to a really good blues mix now as I'm writing this. Nothing like a little Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, Johnny Hooker and Albert King to get the thoughts mellow and the mind relaxed.)
My love of music is something that I also encourage in my children. I keep CD's in the car they can choose from ranging from Bible Hymns for Kids to Sheryl Crow. (Kadence loves her some 'Can't Cry Anymore'.) It's amusing to see how her mood affects her choice. It also encourages me to keep doing what I'm doing too. Whether is blasting the home theater while we dance around in our socks and get down, or singing soulfully in the car, I want my kids to know that there is a song to go with that. We can stop doing dishes and run to the living room to crank up that jam, or change the station because that song is soooo boring.
I know my opinion in music is partial, even so, a humble one. But just being so open in my love for this age old art is allowing my kids to find their voice. If you don't believe me, just ask Peanut to sing her favorite song. ;)
1 comment:
True, sis!! Remember all of Dad's old songs we used to sing together in the car?! And of course, christmas carols year round. Music triggers memories, that's for sure. Peanut is a song writer- I've read her notebook scibbles- I mean, her songs! :)
Post a Comment